Imagine you’re in this situation: Your house has burned down. Your life is in complete chaos, and you’re stuck between taking care of your family, recovering any belongings, stressing about how you will pay for dinner, and wondering where your cellphone is. Not to mention the huge question, who’s going to pay for all of this? In this blog post, we will discuss some tips to help you after a catastrophic loss, what steps to take to get help, and also talk about some specific Dallas Fire Restoration Services that can help you.
When a catastrophic loss occurs, it’s shocking, emotional & stressful. As homeowners/spouses/parents/etc., we have a duty to protect our people and our stuff. When anything disrupts this, we tend to go into panic mode. So, our purpose of this blog post, and any future posts, is to inform you of your options and rights, and also to help ease some of that massive stress you may feel in this time of chaos.
So, the looming questions for this post are: How do I get out from under this mess, both physically and financially?
The obvious, but not always the simplest answer, is your insurance.
But now what? Where do I start?
We Advise You to Follow These Steps Immediately After a Catastrophe:
Step 1: Make a Call
- Call your insurance agent and report a claim.
- Safeguard your claim number as this will be the means of reference used throughout the claims process.
Step 2: Secure Your Property
- Take immediate measures to secure the area to prevent vandalism and further damage to any remaining property. This could mean putting plywood over broken/open windows and doors, or even placing temporary fencing around your property.
- Do not disturb the scene until you are advised in writing that the insurance company has completed their investigation.
Step 4: Document, Document, Document
- Take numerous photographs and or videos of damaged property to aid in documenting your story.
- Keep receipts for ALL expenditures related to your claim.
Step 5: Secure Evidence
- Always secure and keep any evidence of damage related to your claim.
- Don’t discard any items until the insurance company provides to you in writing that it is ok to do so.
Step 6: Emergency or Temporary Repairs
- “Emergency or Temporary Repairs” by a contractor should be limited to mitigating the current damage and preventing further loss.
- Damage inspections should be completed by the insurance company adjusters and your own representation such as a Licensed Public Insurance Adjuster.
Step 7: Proof of Loss
- Some insurance policies require the filing of a “proof of loss” within 60 days from the date of loss. If this document is not properly executed and submitted, the claim may be jeopardized.
Step 8: Don’t Give Up!!
- Initial offers of settlement or claim denials made by your insurance company adjuster are NOT the final word.
Back to our original catastrophe example – Your house fire….
Fires can be especially devastating to your home or business. After the fire trucks leave, your property will likely suffer from not only fire and smoke damage, but also widespread water damage and flooding from firefighting efforts.
Restoration professionals have specialized fire and water damage restoration training and experience to quickly clean up and restore your home to pre-fire condition. They also can remove the pervasive smoke odor and deep-clean soot from upholstery and carpet.
We have compiled a list of our Top 3 Recommendations for Fire Restoration Services in the Dallas area:
What if I’m having problems with my insurance company?
What if I think I’m not getting the money I need to pay for everything?
What should I do?
Just as you would bring in the professionals to help you clean up the mess from the fire, you should hire professionals to help you “clean up the mess” or take on the headache of dealing with the insurance claims.
Insurance claims don’t have to be scary, complicated or overwhelming. And you don’t have to lose anything to gain a better experience.
There really is an advocate out there who offers a “Win-Win”.
Our Expert Public Adjusters file the insurance claim for you, prepare a scope of work, prepare a detailed estimate of repairs, as well as negotiate and settle Commercial, Homeowners and Multifamily Insurance Claims.
We handle the entire insurance claims process so you can concentrate on running your life.
Abba Claims Consultants is the Public Adjusting Firm that provides peace of mind – With us, you can rest assured that you have a trustworthy ally representing your best interests. We are industry leaders and innovators in the negotiation and settlement of property damage insurance claims.
Abba Claims insurance adjusters settle your claim, save you time and eliminate your stress.
Most Importantly, Remember…
Follow the steps we provided. This will lessen your stress and anxiety through this process.
House Fires are a Disaster. Your Insurance Claim doesn’t have to be.
If you have a question regarding Dallas Fire Restoration Services, or any other insurance claim matter, please do not hesitate to write me at my email, [email protected], or call my cell phone: (214) 842-3743.